Monday, November 5, 2012

Fun with Polka Dots!

So, I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge some of the wonderful tools that make all these designs possible! For this design, which is pretty basic, I used an assortment of dotting tools shown below.

I actually got these tools off Amazon for only, like, $2 + shipping!! At that price, I couldn't resist! Each of the 5 tools is double sided, so there's 10 different sizes of dotting tools!! 

Anyways, so for the design I had in mind, I wanted to start with large dots at the base and work my way toward the tip, having the dots get smaller and smaller as I go. Then I figured it'd be fun to have the color change from darker to lighter as well. Since this was on Saturday when my dear old Oregon State Beavers were playing, I wanted to do a black-to-orange look.


I started with the same shimmery base that I usually do instead of just a plain base, and then I used Nina Black, Finger Paints Bronze Sculpture, Nina Shiny Penny, Nina Burnished Bronze, and Sally Hansen Hard to Get. For the tiny dots at the end that look kinda pinkish, I mixed a little white polish with the Hard to Get. I wanted just a little lighter, but it ended up kinda pink instead... oh well!

This didn't come out quite as I envisioned so I may need to try it again in the future. I have varying shades of purples and blues, so I might try one of those next time... Or maybe do an actual base color... Hmm...

Laters!

2 comments:

  1. Awww the dots are really fun! (Love the ascending colors!) What a great deal on Amazon! I will have to check it out. I only have one dotting tool but multiple sizes would come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I couldn't resist a great deal! I think my 15piece brush set was only $5 too... Yay Amazon!

    ReplyDelete