Thursday, April 25, 2013

Hand Sanitizer Nail Art: Not Just For Killing Germs!!

Ok, I found this technique from cutepolish when I was randomly Googling/searching for new ideas, and just had to try it!! There is also another tutorial from SimpleLittlePleasures which is really helpful, and I have used several of her tutorials in the past also. She had helpful hints for if you can't find a spray hand sanitizer (which I couldn't).

Anyways, it comes out looking really cool!!

So, here's the run down of what you do::
I chose 4 fun, bright colors: Nina Caribbean Blue, Sinful Colors Happy Ending, Sally Hansen Hard to Get, and China Glaze Rich & Famous. I painted my nails white first so the colors would show up extra bright, and then painted in blocks of these fun colors, and ended up with this:



Then, you need a cup filled with room-temperature water, some black nail polish (I used Sally Hansen Black Out) and a bottle of spray hand sanitizer. I didn't find spray hand sanitizer, so I followed the tips from SimpleLittlePleasures and cut some regular hand sanitizer with some rubbing alcohol in one of those small, travel spritzers. 

The tutorials state to use 3 or 4 drops of black on the surface of the water, but that didn't come out dark enough for me, so I used closer to 8 or 9 drops. Then, once the color has spread out on the surface of the water, you spritz it with your sanitizer, and that will form spots where the black color has parted. I wrapped my fingers with tape and dipped my fingers in the water. The black polish will transfer to your nail, leaving open the spots the hand sanitizer opened up, letting the bright neon colors show through. It's super messy and I needed to redo my first few nails, not really getting the hang of it till my fourth try or so, but it turned out super fun!




2 comments:

  1. What a fun idea!! :) I have never heard that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't wait 2try ur AWESOME idea. My mind is run'n with different ideas. I'm so glad I ran into ur pics��keep up da great work��

    ReplyDelete