Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Lights!

So, when I was trying to think of new ideas for holiday nails, I thought of Christmas lights! All the houses in town are all lit up in brilliant colors, why not my nails??

So, after my Beauty Secrets base coat, I did a coat of China Glaze For Audrey. And then I used a striping brush to do a stripe of Finger Paints Sketch N Etch on each nail that would serve as my string for lights.


Then, I'm thinking that the light bulbs have an interesting shape to them. How do I recreate that shape? So what I did was use two different sizes of dotting tools. The larger dotter was used as the fatter, base end of the light bulb, and the smaller dotter was used as the thinner end... and then I just did my best to fill in the shape to make it more tear-dropped.

The two sizes of dotting tools I used


The different colors of polishes I used for the lights are::

Sinful Colors Kissy
Orly Hook Up
Sinful Colors Under 18
Finger Paints Cerulean Seascape
Nina Caribbean Blue
Finger Paints Be A Pal-Ette

Then, I had been thinking of trying to do a snow effect. I considered using the trick I've done in the past that involves using a tiny dotting tool with a white polish. Then, before the dots are fully dry, I'd put on a top coat but applying from the tip to the base so that the dots drag toward the base just a little bit to give it the effect of movement like the snow was falling.

BUT, I was at Sally's today and was drawn to a bottle of Finger Paints Sparkle Top Coat, and so figured I'd give that a try. It doesn't really look like snow falling, but it gives a nice festive feel to it!


And thus, my Christmas Lights nails are complete!!

2 comments:

  1. I KNEW that blue was For Audrey :) My fave nail polish of all time. Love this design Linds. Really cute idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an awesome color! I may need to get some back-up bottles lol!

    ReplyDelete