Sunday, December 2, 2012

Gothic Flowers

So, today I picked up a couple new colors, mostly some grays and it made me think of this design from robinmosesnailart I stumbled across on youtube in the past.
As it turns out, the colors aren't the same, or, as I would find out, really anywhere close to what she uses lol! And I am no where near as neat and talented as she is so my version ended up looking sloppy compared to hers, but, still, it looks kinda cool :)

First, I started out with my Beauty Secrets Base Coat, and then I put on a coat of China Glaze Fairy Dust because I was planning on it being more along the lines of a french tip so I was gonna do my usual trick with the sparkle under the plain polish. Instead of putting my plain polish over the Fairy Dust, I put on a coat of Sally Hansen Platinum, which is a opalescent white polish that has kinduva pink sheen to it. Then, since I'm not as talented as robinmosesnailart at doing a gradient by hand, I used my sponge technique.

My colors were:
Sinful Colors Slate
Sinful Colors Winter Wonder
Nina Black

Now, I wanted the tips to be deep black so I didn't use the sponge very many times and then started adding the colors with the normal brushes. It took some playing around, and I don't think the end results were anywhere close to perfect, but I figured they would be good enough since I was going to be drawing over them.

The next steps were close to the video tutorial. I used my Nina Black to do some stripes up from the base and some leaves, then I used Sinful Colors Under 18 to draw my flower petals. I then used China Glaze Ruby Pumps to add a little of a deeper red and some glitter to the inside of the petals. The tutorial used silver polish to accent but I didn't have any regular silver, so I used white. I used a tiny dotting tool to put white dots in the middle of each flower as well as a few dotted accents on the edges.


Again, they don't look nearly as good as the model I was going off of, but they still look pretty cool!!
:)

3 comments: