Friday, December 7, 2012

Holiday Nails

For the upcoming holidays, I thought it'd be cute to do my nails like a present! I wanted to make a ribbon across my nails with a bow on one of them. They turned out pretty well for a first attempt!
(PS, I took step-by-step pictures for this design. I'll leave out some of the pics I used and try to keep it brief, but if you wanna see all of them I can add them later!)

So, after a Beauty Secrets base coat, I did two coats of Nina Love Struck which is a nice red. One coat leaves the color really bright, so I did a second coat to make it a little darker. (Note: the flash on my camera makes it look pretty bright anyways :P)


My next step was to use a nice thin-ish brush (not a striping brush, but much thinner than the one in the bottle) with Finger Paints Sketch N Etch to draw a ribbon across some nails. On one nail, I drew a bow. To do this, I made several little loops in a circle, with a couple tails coming out of it. With just the green, it looks pretty much like just a blob, but after the next step it'll look much better!


Next, I used Orly Glitz and a striping brush to line the outsides of the ribbon in gold. I also did my best to outline the individual loops of the bow. Next time I might try a thinner brush for the bow so it doesn't look so messy! The one on my right hand is even messier since I was drawing with my left hand and I haven't quite mastered that skill yet



To finish it off, I used Orly Too Fab with a dotting tool to add a few specks of gold glitter to the centers of the bows and around the ribbons. And, done! I think next time I'll use a brighter, more sparkly gold instead of the Glitz. But not too shabby for another idea I had pictured in my head that I had to try!



1 comment: