Saturday, January 19, 2013

Easy Rose Nail Art Design: Everything's Coming Up Roses!

So, I bought this new purse on-line and I'm totally excited about it! It's by Iron Fist and you can see it here on Amazon. So, in my excitement, I thought I would do my nails to match! And so, here is my tutorial on how to make cute roses, and some not-so-great-but-will-still-work hearts!!




So, hopefully you viewed the link to the purse so that you know what I'm trying to match. I looked up nail designs for roses but didn't find anything to quite fit my skill level or my supplies. So what follows is an easy tutorial on how to create super cute roses! I also tell you how to create my not-so-great hearts, lol!

OK, so before I dive into my tutorial, I want to explain how I go about planning my designs. Some people have fancy palettes... I use regular index cards for my practice! Below is my practice index card for this particular design so you can see what I do.


I tried a few roses on their own, and then tried one on the purposed background color also. After a few practices, I feel OK to try it on my actual nails.

So, after my Beauty Secrets base coat, I did two coats of China Glaze Rich & Famous.

I looked up tutorial on how to do roses online but I didn't really find anything suiting what I wanted. So, I kinda used one or two in combination with my own ideas. What I came up with was this:: (and here is where I wish I had a nice set up to shoot video of my process!!)
*I used Sinful Colors Under 18 for the rose
*I used a small-to-medium sized dotting tool to make four dots of the red color. These dots do not need to be even or the same size... in fact, it looks better if they're all a different size or if you add a random extra fifth dot. I did at least two clusters of red on each nail. Here's what it looked like::

After that, I used my Finger Paints Sketch N Etch (a nice deep green) to draw some leaves onto each rose. Later I ended up using some lighter green to highlight each leaf, but that's not necessary.


After I had that all set up, I used a thin striping brush and my Nina Black to outline my roses. After that, I used my brush and black polish to draw small curves within the flowers to outline the petals. You really don't need that many to make it look nice and rosy!


At this point, you can outline the leaves as well, but I chose not to. So this is a really easy way to do spectacular roses!! 

However, since my purse's handles are a different pattern in black with white hearts, I figured I'd try to recreate that effect. So I cleaned my ring nail fingernails and painted them with my Nina Black and used my Finger Paints Hip Hip Hue-Ray! for the hearts.

This is where I really wished I had a stamping tool... they could've come out so much cleaner and prettier!! But, alas, I do not have those tools so here is how I made the hearts (which was quite easy, at least)::

I used a smallish-medium dotting tool to make two equal-sized dots next to each other, then used a brush to fill in the bottom half of the heart. I did this in a staggered formation on each ring nail, which you can see in the first picture. Despite the fact that my hearts aren't perfect (even tho I'm super happy with my roses! lol), my nails match quite nicely with my purse!!




I hope that you are able to recreate these awesome roses! It really is quite easy! Like I said, I am tempted to make a tutorial video, so if I hear from my readers (if there are any out there lol!) that you want to see a video, I will make one for you!! Until then, hopefully this helps!!

Have fun out there!!


5 comments:

  1. I love these Linds!! And I would love to see a video! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I don't know how I would set up my camera to do it tho... I'll hafta think on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I am not and don't pretend to be a professional, so no my designs aren't perfect. This is just me sharing my hobby and providing any help/ideas to others who share this hobby. I'm sorry you didn't like it, but I thought it was pretty cool :)

      Delete