Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Snow Day!!

So, in celebration of my first snow day (that's right, my class on Sunday was cancelled due to the winter wonderland outside!), I did snow day nails!
I'm actually pretty proud of this design and *LOVE* how it turned out! And it's actually REALLY easy!! And, look how pretty!!



So, for this design all you need is a make-up sponge (like those little wedges), a piece of aluminum foil, and a small dotting tool. If you don't have a dotting tool, a toothpick would work just as well for this one.
So, your first step is, obviously, to put on a base coat! I always use Beauty Secrets Base Coat. Then you're gonna take your make-up sponge and starting at the tip, put a stripe of each color going from darkest to lightest. The polishes and the order that I used are::

Nina Black
China Glaze First Mate
Finger Paints Cerulean Escape
Nina Caribbean Blue
Sally Hansen Frozen Solid (this one is real sheer so I actually overlapped almost all of it with the neighboring colors
White

After you have your polish on your sponge, dab the sponge on the aluminum foil to get rid of some of the excess.


Then, dab onto your nails! You repeat this step over and over and over again and the polish will slowly build up on your nail and look super cool! I've used this technique several times with different colors and different designs, and I love it every time! I can't find the video tutorial where I first discovered this technique, but it's similar to this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbOhpugJlkk



After I have enough color on my nails and it's dry, I used China Glaze Fairy Dust just at the base where the color is darkest. This gave the impression of a starry night :). Then I used my dotting tool to add dots of white to be my snowflakes. Afterwards, before the white dots were fully dry, I put on my Beauty Secrets Top Coat. I applied it moving from the tip to the base, and since the dots weren't absolutely dry, they smeared just a little bit. This little smear at the top gives the impression of movement, like the snow is falling!!



I really love how these turned out!! And with the white at the tip, it looks like the snow is already piling up! So those are my Snow Day Nails!!
Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Pretty!! This is one of my favorites :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too! Especially since it's somewhat my own design hehe :)

    ReplyDelete